Wednesday, August 18, 2010

week 13 of plowshare produce




This Week’s Veggies: carrots, edamame, zucchini, onions, tomatoes, fennel, green beans, bell peppers, sweet corn, and  watermelon.  I also picked up a loaf of Gemelli's kalamata olive bread.


We took out a bunch of the veggies to our friends' house last night where five of us we demolished most of them! We made salsa with the peppers, tomatoes (minus the one I ate whole, like an apple), and onions, with some lime juice. We also cooked up the edamame in some salt-water, grilled the zucchini and boiled the corn. 


The fennel, green beans and carrots will have to wait for another night. I'm planning to take the cherry tomatoes in for a snack at work, and will probably eat the watermelon (yes, the whole watermelon) for dinner or dessert tonight.


Sunday I was trying to figure out what to do with the rest of our share from last week, so just started chopping. First, a large onion and a whole head of garlic:


Then, the bell peppers and zucchini from last week. I was thinking of making pasta sauce, then Scott walked through the kitchen and asked if I was making chile. Ding! Chile!! I defrosted our grass-fed beef (from our plowshare's neighbor), and browned it with the onions and garlic, then added the rest of the veggies, a can of black beans, a can of kidney beans and a couple heaping teaspoons of chile powder. I wasn't sure about adding tomatoes, then found a jar of spicy green chile salsa to add for the acidic flavor. Best idea ever. 




I think this was the best chile I've ever made. I've always been a big fan of tomatoes, but the green chiles really made it, and the zucchini fit in surprisingly well. 

No comments: