Tuesday, August 3, 2010

week 11 of plowshare produce


This Week’s Veggies: carrots, beets, celery, swiss chard, potatoes, zucchini, cucumbers, onions, cantaloupe, tomatoes, lettuce, garlic and parsley.

First off, thanks to any readers who found me randomly (and to those who check in periodically)! I'm always excited to find out someone reads the blog - it is a little hard to advertise because I include a little bit of everything here, but always happy to have you stop by, even for just a couple posts!!

Tonight for dinner I made an tasty spicy sausage and potato soup:
Spicy Sausage and Potato Soup
- 2-3 leftover grilled spicy italian sausage
- plowshare produce veggies: potatoes, onions, garlic (a whole head!), swiss chard (the whole bunch), and a couples cups of broth (1 chicken, 1 veggie)


Dice onions, smash garlic - saute together until onions are translucent
Dice potatoes, add to pot 
Add broth, bring to a boil and cook until potatoes are tender
Dice sausage and add to pot - bring to a boil again
Slice swiss chard into manageable pieces and add to mixture - cook until chard is slightly wilted

Here is an update on the last of our delicious chicken (purchased from Plowshare Produce's neighbor). I baked it to bbq-sauce-covered crispy, juicy perfection for dinner yesterday:

Last night, along with the BBQ chicken, I also finally finished up the last of our beets (until we received some more today) by pickling them:


Pickled Beets:
Cook beets
Peel and slice
Cover beets with a mixture that is equal parts sugar, cider vinegar and water
Refrigerate until ready to eat - at least one day



The carrots and celery will be sneaking their way into Wingfest this week. The cucumbers and tiny tomatoes will be afternoon snacks (gotta eat healthy for the baby!), and I'll cut up the cantaloupe for breakfast and/or snacktime. We will probably use the lettuce and larger tomatoes in a salad along with the picked beets. We just need to figure out what to do with the parsley, zucchini and the next installment of beets - maybe cook them up for our friends who have never had beets before! :)

4 comments:

BC said...

I eat most of my share raw or grilled with a bit of Parmesan cheese (anything for research...), but those dishes look delicious!

Plowshare Produce is some great food grown by some great people; every Tuesday, I'm glad I saw their advertisement in Meyer Dairy last spring.

mathbionerd said...

Me too!! That's where we saw their sign!!

Alka-Velsor said...

Looks pretty similar to what I'm getting from Greenmore Gardens CSA. I need to start pickling my beets...I put them in my homemade dog food and I like them cooked with balsamic vinegar, sugar and a little bit of citrus juice, but my husband doesn't like them at all :(

~Laura

mathbionerd said...

Ooh, that sounds good. I think the citrus would add a nice flavor!

We've been pretty overloaded with beets, so it's been fun to find new ways to eat them.

This week I think I'm going to try mashed carrots and beets (with optional brown sugar and butter on top). I think it'll be similar to sweet potatoes.