Thursday, September 30, 2010

week 19 of plowshare produce

This Week’s Veggies: sweet potatoes, cauliflower, green beans, endive, kale or chard, hakurei radishes, salad mix, fennel, tomatoes, red and green peppers, hot peppers, herbs  
I accidentally deleted this week's plowshare photo! I'm so upset about it!! We made a delicious salad out of the lettuce, fennel, tomatoes, and red peppers.

I cooked the beets from the last two weeks, and am not yet sure what I'm going to do with them.

As penance for deleting this week's photos I decided to go ahead and make these sweet potato muffins. However, I didn't have maple syrup, or applesauce, and had some stuff to use up in the cabinet/fridge so here is the recipe I really used:

Ingredients:
2 whole eggs
1.5 c. whole wheat flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1.5 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg, cloves and ginger
1/2 c. light brown sugar
1 c. mashed sweet potato (fresh sweet potato cooked in the microwave)
1/4 c. lowfat sour cream
1/4 c. blackstrap molasses
1/4 c. skim milk
2 Tbs. vegetable oil

Instructions are about the same for the recipe above, mix dry stuff together, wet stuff together, then mix both until smooth and put in muffin cups.

Sprinkle the tops of the muffins with 1tsp of granulated sugar, shared between all 12.


They're pretty tasty, and although there is the 2Tbs of oil, they are lower sugar. I'm sure you could leave out the oil and add more milk (or applesauce), I was just working with what I have here. I'll have to try the real recipe when I have all the ingredients!


No comments: