Friday, June 21, 2013

Responding to reviewers can be quality time

18 pages, and a few hours of painfully retyping every equation in the main manuscript (which had magicked themselves into pictures instead of equations after back-and-forth Word version revisons that conveniently disappeared random variables when the PLoS system turned it into a PDF) , the revisions for our Y diversity manuscript are now submitted! I am happy to admit that nearly all of the comments and concerns were items that, after being addressed, greatly improved the manuscript. For whatever faults it has, I have found a lot of value in the peer review process.

Now it is time to wait and see what the Editors and Reviewers think.

Writing (and revising) manuscripts is a very time consuming part of science, but it is one of the ways that we communicate the results. It is very nice that it is something that can be done at home, after the Little Bear has gone to sleep. Unlike the daytime hours, when I am constrained by the daycare clock (and wanting to actually spend time with my family), working at night is more freeing because I know I can continue as long as I need (or as long as my eyelids cooperate). It helps to have a partner who understands, and who also stays up late hours to work on science. Although it isn't ideal quality time together, I much prefer doing late night nerd work when I can take a break to share a cup of hot tea, or any random thought, with my partner in crime.


2 comments:

Amit said...

I have to say, after going through two rounds of review trying satisfy one stubborn reviewer, it did make my recently accepted paper better. I just wish the process didn't take so long ( 9 months from initial submission to acceptance)

mathbionerd said...

I do get frustrated with the time that it takes for revisions, but I've begun to wonder whether this frustration is only a symptom of the "publish or perish" culture. If academics were not judged on quantity, the feelings might be different. It would be nice if the whole process could be more transparent. That is, if it could be known in the community when a manuscript is submitted, not just after final acceptance. This is the benefit of the arXiv. :)