Thursday, June 6, 2013

The world can be a beautiful place

I'm headed to the Miller Symposium this weekend. I won't be tweeting (everything is off the record),   and there isn't even internet or cell phone service across most of the venue. I look forward to hosting Dr. Pamela Ronald:
Pamela Ronald is Professor, Department of Plant Pathology and the Genome Center at the University of California, Davis. She serves as Director of Grass Genetics at the Joint Bioenergy Institute. Her laboratory has engineered rice for resistance to diseases and tolerance to flooding. In 2012, Ronald was awarded the Louis Malassis International Scientific Prize for Agriculture and Food and the Tech Award 2012 for innovative use of technology to benefit humanity. In 2011, Ronald was selected as one of the 100 most creative people in business by Fast Company Magazine. In 2008, Ronald and colleagues were recipients of the USDA 2008 National Research Initiative Discovery Award for their work on submergence tolerant rice.  She is co-author of ‘Tomorrow’s Table: Organic Farming, Genetics and the Future of Food”. Bill Gates calls the book “a fantastic piece of work”
Husband and Little Bear will have some quality Daddy-Daughter time. I will have a wonderful time interacting with my colleagues, talking with science writers, and meeting leaders in Scientific fields that span the gamut, but I will miss them terribly this weekend. I will take these fond memories with me. 

Sunset in Berkeley taken from "The Big C".

Family picture after a nice hike up to the Big C.

No comments: