A wonderful twitter discussion about suggestions for running lab meetings, with a little about general lab management at the end.
In general, broad suggestions are:
* Keep lab meetings to an hour.
* Moderate (keep focused on the topic of the week, whatever it may be).
* Snacks are generally a good thing, but not necessary.
* Joint lab meetings are great for new PIs and for outside perspective.
* Be flexible
* Each lab member presents a figure.
* Avoid after 4pm.
* PI should also present.
* PI should share about grants/admin (on occasion).
* No bad-mouthing during lab meeting. Just, don't.
* Invite grad students or postdocs from other labs to present.
* Lab safety training.
* Code reviews!
* Read/discuss draft manuscripts/grants.
* Schedule for start/end of day or noon-time.
Other than lab meeting advice:
* Create a lab culture that is conducive to asking questions and interactions.
* Lab retreats/potlucks/picnics can be good for building lab connections.
Links mentioned for further discussion/reading: