Sunday, September 30, 2012

Alcatraz Prison: Regulation 5

This morning I made coffee and pancakes for breakfast. I put the coffee in our mugs from Alcatraz:




Scott read his mug and pointed out how relevant the mug's inscription is to the recent comments from presidential candidate Mitt Romney, who said (emphasis is mine): 
There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what. All right, there are 47 percent who are with him, who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you-name-it -- that that's an entitlement.
I agree, it is an entitlement. It is an entitlement that every prisoner has, and was even a regulation at Alcatraz Prison (I'm not sure what the regulations are at modern prisons, but I image they are the same). I think all Americans, heck, all people, should be entitled to food, clothing, shelter and medical attention.

To be fair, I don't think Romney is heartless. And, I truly don't believe he intended to imply that people don't deserve these basic needs, but he does provide some good blog fodder. 

I'm just going to leave this at our morning's observation.

No comments: