Thursday, November 3, 2011

Venting

Background: Our ten month old daughter was up all night last night with a fever in excess of 102, stuffy nose and vomiting. Tylenol kept the fever around 100.0, but didn't take it completely away, and today the doctor diagnosed her with a viral infection. We are to keep her hydrated and use advil (the dr claims it lasts longer) per dosage instructions to treat when her fever starts to affect her behavior negatively. We are going to keep an eye on the fever and if it persists until Sat, or worsens, we will return for more tests.

Situation: We stop by the closest store (the Whole Foods Mart) to buy some infant advil to have on hand to treat her fever if we need it. Searching around, all I see is homeopathic placebos. An employee sees me searching and offers help. After I tell him I'm looking for infant ibuprofen, he says they don't carry it, but wouldn't I like to see their "natural" remedies.

What I wanted to say: No, asshole, I don't want to see the ridiculous wastes of money that will not treat my daughter's fever, and at most will make me feel better by giving the illusion that I'm doing all I can when in reality I should be comfortable with the fact that all I can do for her viral infection is to keep her hydrated, play with her, monitor her fever, and patiently wait while her immune system does its job. (Deep breath)

What I said: No. Then walked away.

End rant.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments:

EllenQ said...

I wish you had said that. I suspect that most of the people who work at Whole Foods are just regurgitating what they are trained to say and have no idea what utter b.s. it is.

I hope your sweet baby girl feels better soon.

mathbionerd said...

She's feeling much better today already, thanks. :)

I generally avoid saying what's on my mind immediately, because half the time it would just come out as an incoherent, offensive mess that doesn't help anyone. Sigh...