Monday, January 31, 2011

Breastfeeding and delaying solids

Today was my first attempt to go back to work (even though I don't have to technically go in until Thursday). It was a partial success. I made it out of the house okay, got breakfast and was able to get a couple hours of work done. I also forgot my phone at home, and forgot some essential parts for pumping at work. So, I headed home, forgetting my lunch and some non-essential pumping parts at work.

All in all it was a good practice run.

I also realized that although Penn State touts itself as being supremely breastfeeding/pumping friendly, they still have a long way to go. There are very few lactation rooms, and access is not easy to get (I am still waiting on a response to the email I sent to set up an orientation time so I can fill out paperwork just to use the room, getting a password and ability to request times, which may not be granted).

I am tempted to use the nearly-always empty conference room upstairs. Alternatively, I could do like I do now and just use a nursing cover when we have guests and either pump in the restroom downstairs or in our lunch room.

Also, I learned that the World Health Organization recommends breastfeeding for the first two years (whereas fewer than 13% of Americans breastfeed at just six months!!). In addition, there seem to be a lot of reasons for delaying the introduction of solid foods, including the prevention of allergies, increased immunity, and protection from iron-deficient anemia.

No comments: