Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Week 5 of plowshare produce

Sorry I didn't update much last week. I'll make up for it here. :)

First, catching up from veggies from last week.We used the scallions to make beef and scallion stir-fry. Scott was a little nervous that the onions would overpower the dish, but it turned out wonderful. I also made a mayo-free coleslaw, but even though I halved the amount of oil called for, it was still a little too oily for us. Next time I might try a mayo-free, oil-free slaw.


Then I roasted the turnips and carrots with a little olive oil and salt:


This Week’s Veggies: head lettuce, potatoes, beets, sugar snap and shell peas, zucchini, carrots, cabbage, basil, and scallions:


Scott will be out of town (interviewing at Berkeley!!!), so I'm going to try to wash/clean/preserve as many of the veggies this week as I can.

I pickled the beets (from this week and last), adding a few eggs for Scott:


I am grated the zucchini - some to go in the freezer (this is great to just slip into pasta sauce for a veggie-boost), some for making something later this week (zucchini bread?). I also grated the carrots, for use in some recipe this week:


For dinner I put the basil in the food processor with a little grated parmesean and romano cheeses and a splash of olive oil, then used this as a basting for the chopped up red potatoes.


I baked them at 350 till they were crispy - tossing them a couple times:


And, finally, I shelled all the shell-peas, and put them in the freezer for use when we have a chance. My mom used to make us cream of chicken soup and peas over toast. I'm thinking that's what I'd like to try with this, but maybe I'll get some other inspiration - considering Scott doesn't like peas.




Lots of tasty veggies for the seamonkey!!

No comments: