Wednesday, June 9, 2010

I know an author

I was sitting here wondering what to write about tonight, and then my mom left a message that a friend of mine, Joe, from near Syracuse (Nebraska) wrote a book:

Bard Wired Plain (Not Fancy)
A.J. Carr (a pseudonym)

Joe is a wonderful man. I met him when we first moved to Nebraska, when I was 14, working at the local Shur Save grocery store. He introduced me to my favorite poet so far, Richard Brautigan, giving me two of Brautigan's books. Brautigan is estimated to have died two days shy of me turning seven months old. He makes the list of people I would like to meet (in no particular order):

1. Richard Brautigan (died age 49, 1984)
2. Marilyn Monroe (died age 36, 1962)
3. Hypatica (died age 45-65, 430)

I tried to think of a 4 and 5, but the more I think about it, the more I just want to spend time with friends and family I know now. The list starts to get very long then. I'd start with friends I've met only briefly, who I'd like to know more about.

Wouldn't it be wonderful to have the option to visit friends and family all of the time? Although I enjoy big parties, I'm much more of a one-on-one sort of person. I like to get completely engrossed in the person I'm with, and it is so easy to get distracted. If I could, I would devote an entire day to each of my friends. Well, maybe a little more to some and a little less to others - if I'm being completely honest. I'm also tempted to say that some people should be met together (because I always think of them together), but really, that's what the one-on-one time is for, to get to know that person as they are on their own.

No comments: