Thursday, May 27, 2010

Dessert tonight: homemade lemon cake

In an effort to continue to blog with some consistency (no matter how short!), tonight I'll tell you about dessert.

I haven't really been hungry for desserts lately - the hot weather kind of takes it out of me, and I just want a glass of cold water (or cold mint tea), but tonight I decided to make lemon cake.

Well, originally I was going to make chocolate chip cookies, but we had no chocolate chips, and being too lazy deciding to conserving natural resources, I opted for lemon cake instead.

Most of the recipes I found online are for lemon pound cake, or lemon bars, no light and fluffy lemon cake. So, deciding to Betty Crocker it up, here is my lemon cake recipe (would omit the oil for applesauce or yogurt, if I had any).

-- As a brief aside: This is one of the many times I wish the US were more like Denmark, or any other number of European countries, with a grocer within walking distance of nearly every house. But, I suppose if I could have easily walked to the store, I would be eating gooey delicious boring chocolate chip cookies instead of waiting for my new creation to emerge from the oven. --


Lemon Cake
1c unbleached flour
.5c wheat flour
1c sugar
2 eggs
1tsp vanilla
.5c skim milk
1.5Tbs lemon juice
1/3c oil
1tsp baking soda

Preheat oven to 350
Mix all ingredients
Pour into 8x8 glass pan
Bake for 30 min, or until toothpick comes out clean


Final verdict: It's a little sweet, but pretty good. If I made it again, I'd leave out a bit of the sugar.

No comments: