Thursday, February 18, 2010

Three a week? what was I thinking?

I suppose it is good that I've been so busy that thinking three posts a week is a little excessive.

But, at the time it seemed like a good idea, so I'll try to keep up with it, at least for the first week. :)

I'm in the process of learning how to ask for money. Yep, I'm writing a fellowship application. This is an internal Penn State fellowship application, so the competition isn't as high as for some of the national (and international) fellowships, but the pressure is still on, because they only award one.

I'm finding it particularly difficult to write my cover letter. I realize now that a certain amount of time needs to be put into learning how to sell oneself. It is so hard! You need to find a nice way to say, "I am awesome, but I want you to come to that conclusion without me having to tell you outright how awesome I am, which would defeat the purpose because then I'd just be a conceited jerk."

So many tips and templates and examples. I like this short description/introduction, but there is a lot of material to work with out there.

Also, here's another example that I liked, before finding the example above:





The difficulty is that cover letters depend so much on the field you're in. So, with too much information, and a too little experience, I will go ahead and write this cover letter, and let you know how it turns out in the end.

No comments: